Menu

CSA, Comforting Red Thai Curry, and Glamorous Glass Straws!

I just joined my first CSA (community sustainable agriculture) and boy am I excited. For $35 I get a huge box of fresh, straight from the farm organic fruit and vegetables delivered to a nearby drop-off location. There will be no stickers to pull off and no packaging to throw away. Sweet!

My first box included persimmons, an heirloom melon, red and green cabbage, celery, carrots, squash, cauliflower, broccoli, green onions, onions, beets, spinach, an eggplant, kale, spinach, and a head of red leaf lettuce. It was like a treasure hunt pulling everything out. And since I received a few items I would normally not find and/or buy I get to experience new tastes and try new recipes. I'll definitely be baking up something with the fuyu persimmons, so stay tuned. Also, if a CSA sounds interesting to you, do some research. In most cities, there's likely one delivering not too far from where you live.

Recipe:

Red Thai Curry with Vegetables and Tofu

Looking for something simple, exotic, and delicious? Then you have to try this healthy recipe. Veggies abound in this soup-like meal, but you'll never even know it thanks to the sweetness of the coconut milk. I go light on the red curry paste for the kids, but if you're making it for adults, feel free to add more.

Serves 5-7

1 14-oz. can lite coconut milk
1 14-oz. can reg coconut milk
1/2 cup water
1 Tbs. Thai red curry paste
2 Tbs. brown sugar
2 Tbs. tamari or soy sauce, and more to taste
1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
3-4 cup baby bok choy, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin strips
1 block tofu
8-12 fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 cups cooked brown or white rice

1. In wide saucepan, add all coconut milk, curry paste, sugar, tamari or soy sauce, and ½ cup water. Heat on medium-low and stir until paste is dissolved. Add cauliflower. Simmer 10 minutes. Add bok choy, red bell pepper, tofu and basil. Simmer 10 more minutes, or until veggies are soft.

2. Serve over brown or white rice.

Product:

Glass Straw by Glass Dharma

I just found these and I love them! It's another easy and elegant way to get plastic out of your life. Glass Dharma straws are functional and fun, and are guaranteed against breakage. And they have every size you'd ever want. (And some with bends and dots.) I can't wait to sip up some iced tea with one of these.


"Cabbage: a familiar kitchen-garden vegetable about as large and wise as a man's head." -Ambrose Bierce

No comments:

Post a Comment